Spring is coming. After enduring the cold winter months, it is exciting to welcome the warm sunshine once again. However, with the warmer weather comes allergies. Now that the snow has melted, the air is once again chockful of particles that will keep you sniffling and sneezing.
Hay fever, also known as allergic rhinitis, happens when the immune system responds to triggers that are found in the environment — the most common of which are pollen, ragweed, pet dander, and mold.
Mold, however, is a problem that can occur all year round. Often, it is found inside the house where there is a water leak. For many, exposure to mold does not cause symptoms. For some, it may lead to a stuffy nose, red or itchy eyes, and wheezing. Those who have asthma and other respiratory problems may experience worse symptoms.
The Indoor Air You Breathe
A common area where mold can be found is in your ducts. If you are experiencing any symptoms, it is best to call a service that provides duct cleaning in Salt Lake City, Utah.
If there is mold growth in your ducts, it can be dangerous for you and your family. Fungi release seeds called “spores” into the air which cause an allergic reaction. If the mold growth is in your ducts, the air that is being circulated throughout your home is exposing you to such spores.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends the regular inspection of home heating, ventilation, air conditioning (HVAC) systems not just for molds but, more importantly, the presence of moisture. Where there is excess moisture, fungi such as mold can grow. By making sure that the condensate pans are draining properly, you can prevent mold growth and save your family from experiencing any symptoms.
Hidden in Your Bathroom
The bathroom is another area in your home where mold can be hiding. Because the place is often damp and dark, it creates the perfect environment for fungi to survive and propagate.
Typically, mold pops up in the bathtub or the shower and the faucet or the sink. However, if your bathroom retains moisture throughout the day, you may find mold in the tiles, drywall, and ceiling. Good thing, you can easily remove mold in your bathroom by buying commercial cleaners or use a mix of chlorine bleach and water.
Your Appliances Are Not Safe
Your home appliances like the washing machine, refrigerator, dishwasher, and even your coffee maker can be harboring mold. Anything that involves both heat and moisture can be a breeding ground. While they do not pose a grave danger to your health, you do not want fungi anywhere near the clothes that you wear and the food that you eat.
It is easy to clean mold from your appliances. Simply mix white vinegar with water to wipe away mold from your refrigerator, dishwasher, and coffee maker. Meanwhile, run your washing machine with chlorine bleach mixed with hot water (with no clothes) at least once a month to make sure that there is no mold is growing in it.
Mold can also grow on other surfaces inside and outside your home. It can even appear in your books, shoes, and other furniture. This spring is the perfect time to do a thorough checkup to stop the growth before it turns into a bigger problem.