Prevention is better than cure, as they say, and that holds true in dentistry. And, the best way to avoid the pain, both physical and financial regarding dental problems is to know more about preventive dentistry.
Currambinedentist.com.au lays out an overview of preventive dentistry, especially in the Perth area.
What Is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry is a branch of dental science that emphasises ongoing dental practices to prevent tooth decay and other dental diseases. According to experts, all sorts of dental problems, from cavities and gingivitis, to loss of enamel and periodontitis, are preventable if people followed the right dental care daily and regularly.
Benefit for All
Preventive dentistry benefits everyone, from infants with their first tooth to the elderly who is in process of losing teeth due to advanced age. The benefit is of greater significance in children, as it helps them develop strong teeth in adulthood.
Some studies also link oral health to overall human health, so there is additional incentive to take care of teeth in general.
Preventive Dentistry Strategies
Given the benefits of preventive dentistry, a number of strategies have developed in this objective. These include:
• At-home dental hygiene, that is brushing twice a day and flossing.
• Using fluoridated toothpaste, as fluoride strengthens the teeth and prevents tooth decay.
• Having a balanced diet low on sugars and rich in calcium.
• Regular visits to the dentist for check-ups to help diagnose problems at an early stage.
• Using mouth guards to prevent cases of broken teeth during sports activities.
• Avoiding smoking and drinking, as these affect the oral health negatively.
• Undergoing regular dental cleaning at the hands of a professional.
Follow these simple preventive dentistry strategies to remain far from both physical and financial pains in oral and dental problems. This alone is the crux of preventive dentistry.