Filing for Child Custody as a Third Party

Parenthood is a lifelong commitment. While it can be challenging to raise a happy and healthy family, it can be very rewarding all the same. Familial bonds can last a lifetime, and you can leave a lasting legacy on the world through your children.

For some, though, parenthood may not be easy to come by. Biological factors can impede some couples from having children. Adopting is a good option in such cases, but the requirements can be quite challenging.

Someone knowledgeable in child custody might be able to help — if you live in Kent, a child custody attorney can expedite the process.

Getting Custody as a Third Party

Laws on adoption state that prospective adopters may file for custody once the parents of the child have surrendered theirs, or if the courts have determined that they are not fit to raise the child. The latter usually happens in cases of drug abuse and others.

In some cases, the courts may rule that a parent is unfit to raise a child when they prove that these parents have caused harm to the child’s well-being, regardless if they are physically, mentally, and financially capable.

Per the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services, if you are 18 years old or more and are capable of undergoing the legal proceedings, you may be eligible to adopt. After applying, you will need to go through a home study.

During this time, a representative of the department will visit your house, interview you, and gather information about you. They will review your criminal and employment records and use them as a basis for the evaluation.

If you are looking to adopt a child, it’s always best to check with the authorities to see whether you are eligible. This way, you can be aware of the process, and work towards your goal of starting a family.

Scroll to Top